Blog post #5

Artists take risks

With my book for the media center project a new thing I tired was putting small supporting slabs in the middle and the sides of my book. I had to do this because i couldn’t just make it like a brick because it would’ve been to heavy and it most likely exploded in the kiln. I wasn’t sure about this because I have never done something like this before and have never have had to put supporting slabs into my project before.

After I completed building this I learned that is a very good technique for building models of things that might be to heavy or having the same problem as mine.  Something else I learned is I shouldn’t be worried about new things I try when it comes to building. If when I go over it with the teacher and it sounds good with them I shouldn’t stress about it. With enough smoothing and time anything can really get done.

Artists use materials and tools in an appropriate and safe way

The way I use and maintain tools and equipment to make my artwork depends on my piece. Of course different things you do requires different tools. With my book I used the serrated scrapper, rubber rid, the modeling tool with the eraser, and spray bottle. I used the serrated scrapper to put all the different parts together by scoring the ends of the parts, and to scrap off pieces that weren’t even. Next, I used the rubber rid and spray bottle to smooth out the whole book. These two things work amazing to smooth. Lastly I used the modeling eraser tool to smooth out small cracks that I cant do with my finger.

I store these materials in the proper bins they go in according to our table. The book was stored in different ways until put together. Some parts I had to make sure dried enough to stay put and have strong walls and then some other parts needed to be very wet to hold things together. Some things were stored in plastic bags some in a plastic box.